‘Tis the season to be jolly but nobody wants to look like Santa come January! It is estimated that by the end of the Christmas season the average weight gain is 4 lbs with the most excessive calorie intake of up to 6,000 kcal consumed on Christmas Day, which would take a whopping 8 h 20 min of moderate intensity running to burn off! With that in mind and to stay a small bit healthier while still enjoying a very merry Christmas I challenge you to incorporate these 5 simple and easy habits into your festive fun this season ☺
- Indulge. Choose 2-3 days over the festive season to eat and drink what you deserve. Try to include one healthy nutrition practice or exercise routine into every other day. My favourite healthy nutrition habit is a green smoothie every morning. Although some mornings I would prefer a bloody Mary, I feel so much better after it has gone down the hatch. It takes 5 minutes, it’s easy to make and it’s a whole lot of fruit, vegetables and nutrients in one shot- I challenge you to have a green smoothie for even 5 days over the holiday season! Drink healthy- feel healthy ☺
- Guilt free. Don’t focus on what you eat during the festive season, its only 12 days, or perhaps 32 for some! Whichever, the focus should be on all the other days of the year, so if you fall off the wagon at this time of year enjoy without guilt & focus on 2018!
- Exercise. Plan some exercise into the Christmas holidays to keep your energy levels high while relieving the stress of family gatherings. I find that if you don’t plan to exercise you won’t get off the couch, so try to plan some sort of exercise into your day at least every second day of the season. At this time of year everything should be fun including your exercise routine. Your exercise session doesn’t have to be a visit to the gym or a long run, stepping it out at the January sales while hunting for that bargain while trying out your new fitbit is my kind of exercise at this time of year – 10,000 steps = 300 kcal ☺
- Healthy Choice. Although it is the season of excess it doesn’t mean that we should indulge every time we eat and drink. Except for your 3 days of guilt free eating, try to choose a healthier food or drink choice the majority of every other day, your energy, body weight and long term health will thank you in 2018 and beyond. A simple food swap which can trick the brain into feeling like it is not a swap at all is swapping a mince pie, which is 350 kcal for a 288 kcal small slice of pavlova!
- Be mindful. Tis the season of treats, sweets & splurges which is all part of the holiday fun. Enjoy each moment of eating & drinking these delicious foods, notice them, savour each morsel and be grateful.
Are you ready for the challenge? Easy, right?!
Wishing you a very Happy & Wonderful Christmas & New Year from all the Fuel & Perform Team!