Towards the weekend, as our energy levels and resolve wains it is too easy to succumb to the chocolate lying around the office or the Friday afternoon treat. These tasty protein balls are just the hit you need to get you to the weekend on a healthy high!
The dark chocolate combined with a nutritious blend of nuts and seeds provide a delicious anytime snack high in essential fats and minerals but low in calories. These protein balls promise to provide you with a substantial chocolate hit without the guilt of a high sugar snack. Enjoy with a cup of steaming coffee or green tea 🙂
- Serves: 18
- Calories: 98 kcal
- Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 3g
- Protein: 3g
- 100g of walnuts (nuts of your choice)
- 100g of dark chocolate
- 2 heaped tablespoons of peanut butter
- 2 heaped tablespoons of flaxseed
- 6 medjool dates
- 1 scoop of chocolate whey protein powder
- 3-4 dessertspoons of water
- Blend the nuts, chocolate & medjool dates separately in a blender.
- Then add each to a large bowl and mix.
- Add the whey protein & peanut butter to the mixture.
- Both the medjool dates & the peanut butter will work to bind the mixture however some water. will also be needed. Add 3-4 dessertspoons of water. Add each spoon separately and mix thoroughly before adding the next. You don't want the mixture to get too moist, however if this happens add more protein powder.
- Shape the balls with your hands into 18 round shaped pieces & place in the fridge for 1-2 h.
- Enjoy the balls like this or roll in some cacao powder or desiccated coconut for extra flavour.
- Store in the fridge for 3-5 days.
*Pictures courtesy of Sinead Lally, photographer extraordinaire 🙂