Pimp your eggs this weekend with this delicious paprika and cumin infused recipe. Eggs Shakshuka is an Italian breakfast recipes perfect for a lazy weekend brunch.
The recipe combines my favourite spices, curcumin and paprika, juicy tomatoes and flavoursome chorizo. The red pepper and tomatoes provide a mega hit of Vitamin C while the eggs ensure your breakfast is boosted with high quality protein.
I love that there is always some sauce left over (unless the sauce has been mopped up with some fresh crusty bread!!) and with some freshly cooked eggs can function as a great breakfast or lunch the following day. The sauce actually tastes even more flavoursome the next day.
I serve this dish with roasted cubes of sweet potato or thick slices of fresh doughy bread. Served with either makes this dish a simple tasty option for refuelling after an early morning training session- it feeds the body and the soul ☺
- Serves: 4
- Calories: 156 kcal
- Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Protein: 11g
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 large red pepper, thinly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed or minced
- 50g of chorizo, sliced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. sweet paprika
- 400g passata
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium-low heat. Add onion, chorizo, tomatoes and red pepper. Cook gently until very soft, about 10 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Stir in cumin and paprika, and cook 1 minute. Pour in tomatoes and season with ¾ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper; simmer until tomatoes have thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture into a Pyrex dish and crack the eggs into over the tomatoes. Bake in the oven until the eggs are just set, 7 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with coriander and serve with fresh crusty sough dough.